Sometimes we want the computer to pick out some moving object. This is something that humans can do very easily, so it often comes as a surprise how difficult it is to get a computer to do this.
Some robots use "visual servoing", using a camera to track the relative position of the robot arm and the item to be picked up.
further reading Edit
- The Condensation Algorithm "robust when following agile moving objects, in the presence of dense background clutter"
- "Computer Vision Demos" lists a few tracking algorithm demos
- "Visually Guided Robots"
- "Computer Vision Face Tracking For Use in a Perceptual User Interface"
- multi-camera tracking
- computer vision tracking video
- Wikibooks: SwisTrack, a tool for tracking robots, humans, animals and objects using a camera or a recorded video as input source. SwisTrack contains interfaces for USB, FireWire and Gbit cameras, as well as AVI files. SwisTrack is an open-source project hosted on SourceForge.
- OpenSURF Vision Tracking
- Electronics and Robotics: Making a camera follow me.
- Into Robotics - Tracking using OpenCV